Chris Hau Tells Us 10 Good Things
1) State your name, where you are from?
My name is Chris Hau and I am from the great white north. (Ontario, Canada)
2) What board do you ride?
I ride a Phase 5 Oath, a Phase 5 Diamond, and next year I’ll be riding a surf style board. The Phase 5 Aku.
3) Tell us a little about your music?
I am a singer-songwriter. I blend a variety of different genres: folk, pop, hip hop, jazz, and rock. Kinda like Jason Mraz meets Macklemore; while surfing.
4) How did you get into wakesurfing?
Like Drew Danielo, I used to wakeskate alot, but after a bad benihanna attempt, I busted my leg pretty bad. After that injury, all I could do was wakesurf for the rest of the summer. Once I landed my first 360 and shuv, I was hooked. I couldn’t stop wakesurfing.
5) Your friends with Drew Danielo 7x Wakesurf Champ that must be cool?
YEEE HAWW, it is pretty unreal. Drew has taught me so much about wakesurfing and life. I’ve never seen Drew ride without a smile on his face. (or without country music blasting). Drew is a constant reminder to always have fun while wakesurfing and never get too bummed out about about a bad run. He is always getting people stoked on wakesurfing.
I’ll never forget when I was 13 and Phase 5 was just starting to get off the ground, he sent me a bunch of swag after I met him at the Toronto Boat Show. That moment got me stoked on wakesurfing. Drew is the man.
6) We hear you play guitar and wakesurf in a music video. How did that concept come about for your treatment?
I was in class one day and we were talking about the idea of “The Purple Cow”. The concept of what separates you from the rest of the herd? It just got me thinking about what separates me. I am Canadian that knows how to surf and play guitar. I could DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!
7) Do you compete or just freeride?
I compete, but for the time being only at Canadian events.
8) Will you be planning any tours in the US with your music or to wakesurf?
I’d love too! Possibly play at all the wakesurf competitions next year? Event planners hit me up 😉
9) Whats your local riding spot?
I ride on Lake Simcoe in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
10) What can we plan on seeing from Chris Hau for 2014?
I want to be competing at more events, teaching clinics, and playing music. Hopefully jam with Mastercraft surfer Donavon Frankenreiter one day.